Exploring the protective effects of Eleusine indica (Indian goosegrass) against nephrotoxicity
Researchers at the University of Yaounde in Cameroon investigated the preventive effects of Eleusine indica (Indian goosegrass) against L-NAME-induced kidney damage in rats. They reported their findings in an article published in The Journal of Phytopharmacology.
- E. indica is used in Cameroonian folk medicine to treat various illnesses, not least of which are renal problems.
- To examine its biological properties, the researchers first obtained E. indica aqueous extract (EIAE) and used it to treat rats with kidney damage.
- The rats were divided into five groups:
- Group I (control), which received 0.9 percent saline via intraperitoneal injection (IP) and 10 mL/kg distilled water.
- Group II (negative control), which received 30 mg/kg L-NAME via IP.
- Group III (positive control), which received 12.5 mg/kg losartan and L-NAME injection.
- Group IV, which received 100 mg/kg EIAE and L-NAME injection.
- Group V, which received 200 mg/kg EIAE and L-NAME injection.
- After 60 days of treatment, the researchers measured the animals’ blood pressure, lipid profile and kidney and oxidative stress parameters.
- They found that L-NAME significantly elevated blood pressure, total cholesterol, triglycerides and LDL cholesterol levels while significantly reducing HDL cholesterol.
- Nephrotoxicity was evident due to significant elevation in serum levels of creatinine, urea and potassium, plus significant reduction of sodium and GFR compared to controls.
- Catalase, GSH and nitrites were also significantly decreased in L-NAME injected groups.
- EIAE treatment prevented the rise in blood pressure and improved the lipid profile, kidney function and antioxidant defenses of L-NAME injected rats.
Based on these findings, the researchers concluded that E. indica can protect against nephrotoxicity and L-NAME-induced kidney failure, as well as prevent kidney damage through its antioxidant activity.
Tchoupou TH, Ngo Lemba ET, Ngueguim TF, Aboubakar BF, Njiaza J, Dimo T. PREVENTIVE EFFECTS OF AQUEOUS EXTRACT OF THE WHOLE PLANT OF ELEUSINE INDICA (LINN) GAERTN. (POACEAE) AGAINST L-NAME INDUCED NEPHROTOXICITY IN RAT. The Journal of Phytopharmacology. 2019;8(1):28-32