Cumin and apricot lentil soup
1 hour 5 minutesApricots in lentil soup? It sounds unusual but this is a common Middle Eastern technique. Cumin and thyme provide a gorgeous flavour.Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 90g dried apricots, quartered
- 300g red lentils
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 3 roma tomatoes - peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Preparation:15min › Cook:50min › Ready in:1hour5min
- Sauté onion, garlic and apricots in olive oil. Add lentils and stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, and season with cumin, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice. Purée half of the soup in a blender, then return to the pot. Serve.